© After Hours Press 2021, Elmwood Park, IL
After Hours is seeking submissions for ongoing issues. Please read the following guidelines carefully.
Deadline for submissions:
March 15/Summer Issue
September 15/Winter Issue.
Manuscripts received after the deadline and accepted for publication will be held for inclusion in following issues.
Who should submit?
Writers/artists living in and around Chicago, as well as Chicago expatriates
(once a Chicagoan, always a Chicagoan).
Poetry, short fiction, essays, photography or black & white drawings. Any subject matter is acceptable. The first criteria
is always the quality and originality of the writing. After Hours is NOT looking for work about Chicago exclusively,
we are looking for work distinctively created by Chicagoans without any pretense or reliance on traditional forms.
Recognizing that many Chicago writers write in Spanish, After Hours accepts submissions of English translations of
those works. Submit both Spanish and English versions of the written work per the following guidelines.
Poetry ... 3 – 5 poems, no length or style limitations, typed, no more than one poem on a page, each page should have
the poet’s name, address, and email address
Fiction/Flash Fiction/Non-Fiction ... 1 - 3 pieces of short prose, 6 page maximum per piece; no style limitations, typed, doublespaced,
12 pt minimum font size. Pages should be numbered and each page should have the author’s name, address and
Photography/Artwork ...No subject or style limitations. Digital email submissions only for artwork/photography. Submit low resolution jpegs. Each submission should have the artist’s name, address, and email address. You will be contacted to supply high resolution digital formats if artwork is accepted for publication. Color submissions are accepted, but may be transfered to black & white (with artist's approval).
• Email submissions are accepted and encouraged. Use Microsoft Word attachments ONLY, otherwise please copy and
paste into an email message.
• Simultaneous submissions are accepted. Please indicate which works are being simultaneously submitted.
• Please include a cover letter with short bio, as well as a statement about your connection to the city of Chicago.
• SASE required for snail mail submissions to be returned. Electronic submissions will receive electronic responses.
• Notification within 4 months. Acceptance pays in one contributor’s copy and a one-year subscription to After Hours.
Rights revert to author upon publication.
Address all written snail mail correspondence and submissions to:
After Hours Press
2417 N. 75th Avenue, Unit F
Elmwood Park, IL 60707